Thursday, August 6

THANK YOU CORY

It was already 11am when I woke up last Saturday, August 1. The first thing my sister told me was "ate, patay na si Cory" then I immediately sat and cried. I don't know why I reacted that way. I am not related to her in any way but I cried.


I was just 4 months old when the EDSA Revolution happened. I had no idea what was happening around me. I just knew about the whole People Power story when I was already in school. What I can remember is that I usually saw her on TV and the newspapers when she was president. That was it. I have been reading and hearing stories about her these past few days and I can't help but admire her. Although they were rich, she remained very simple. She was just a housewife but when her husband died, she was forced to comfort and lead a struggling nation.


My friends and I wanted to see her before she was buried. We went to LSGH last August 2 and waited in line for more than 2 hours. We saw her inside her coffin for just a few seconds though but it was ok. I just wanted to see her. Just one last look at the person who restored Philippine Democracy. Last August 5, the day she was buried, was declared a holiday. Unfortunately, I still had work on holidays so I wasn't able to catch one last glimpse. Most of us at work showed our support by wearing yellow shirts.



I watched the media coverage from August 1 to August 5. Seeing so many people made me realize how much she was loved by this country. So.... that's what they call "Cory Magic." Now that President Cory is in her final resting place, I hope that the unity and patriotism of the Filipinos were not buried with her. I hope that we could all continue to love our country and be proud to be Filipinos. I hope that all of us would be inspired by Cory and Ninoy.


Thank you President Cory.


You will continue to be an inspiration to this country.


Recommended:

No comments: