Tuesday, January 26

Skin Scare

Honestly, I have never bought any skin whitening creams, soaps, and other such things. I've always been content with my complexion, and I'm happy enough having smooth skin, regardless of color. Sure, I use lotion, cold cream, etc., but I've never been one to be on the lookout for whitening products.

I couldn't be more thankful for having that kind of mindset. Had I been addicted to getting white skin, I'd be freaking out right now! Studies show that skin-whitening agents contain Hydroquinone, which if used apart from treating darkened skin and hyperpigmentation, would give major health risks. These include nail discoloration and grey-blue bumps on sun-exposed skin. Worse complications include fish odor syndrome (wherein the patient's body emits an odor similar to that of a rotting fish) and of course, skin cancer.

Healthy skin does not mean white skin. As long as it's kept smooth and nourished, we're all good to go. It's very harmful to give self-treatment, especially since we don't exactly know the contents of the things we use to treat our skin. To get the nourished glow that we all want to achieve, it's always best to consult your dermatologist.

No comments: